CUB SCOUT DAY CAMP...What was I thinking?
Last fall, I got a phone call from the vice chairman of programs with the Cub Scouts. He was calling some of the larger packs to get together a committee to plan Summer Day Camp for the Cub Scouts. It sounded like fun and I wanted to suggest some changes from the previous year's camp.
Our meetings started in late-February and the first couple seemed a bit disorganized. I had "coerced" two other moms from our pack to be on the committee with me. We're all pretty much "newbies" to scouting, but we had heart!
About the 3rd meeting, it became necessary to start dividing up responsibilites. My dear friend, Kaysie, volunteered the two us to be camp directors. I was a bit shocked at first, but thought it would be fun to do with her. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I HAD GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!
And, yes, Kaysie and I are still good friends :)
We planned, organized, e-mailed, called, planned some more, made changes, planned, made more changes...and lo and behold...June 5th we were "in business." We had about 260 boys (ages 6-11) from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
It was a fun week and the boys had a FABULOUS time. But I will never, never, never do something like that again! It took away too much time from my family, my homeschooling and my life. I learned a lot about boys (oh the testosterone) and I learned a lot about myself. I'm also learning to say no!
Our meetings started in late-February and the first couple seemed a bit disorganized. I had "coerced" two other moms from our pack to be on the committee with me. We're all pretty much "newbies" to scouting, but we had heart!
About the 3rd meeting, it became necessary to start dividing up responsibilites. My dear friend, Kaysie, volunteered the two us to be camp directors. I was a bit shocked at first, but thought it would be fun to do with her. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I HAD GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!
And, yes, Kaysie and I are still good friends :)
We planned, organized, e-mailed, called, planned some more, made changes, planned, made more changes...and lo and behold...June 5th we were "in business." We had about 260 boys (ages 6-11) from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
It was a fun week and the boys had a FABULOUS time. But I will never, never, never do something like that again! It took away too much time from my family, my homeschooling and my life. I learned a lot about boys (oh the testosterone) and I learned a lot about myself. I'm also learning to say no!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home