Camping at John Zink Ranch...I know more for next time...
The whole family went camping this weekend at John Zink Ranch. At the ranch there is a special part just for Cub Scouts called Cub World. There's a castle, a western fort, a land ship and a paddle wheel boat [among other things]. This year, our pack was on board the land ship and were all pirates. The boys had a lot of fun and came up with pirate names like Long John Silver [guess who that was], Sneaker, Zorro and Calico Jack. Rich led the Wolf Den in a pirate skit and song and it was very well received by many of the other parents. Rich really did shine last night in his pirate role...he was having a lot of fun.
The boys caught toads and lizards and, word has it, even a salamader - although I didn't see it. They shot BB Guns [as well as Anne and William], hiked around a lot and got VERY dirty. The weather was nice...a little windy, but no rain and it wasn't too cool...just right. We cooked hot dogs and smores for dinner and watched the 2nd year Webelos go through the Arrow of Light ceremony to become Boy Scouts.
Anne and William decided to take off their shoes and walk around in the mud...there goes 2 pairs of socks. Then Anne decided it was best to forsake the socks altogether. Her feet were disgustingly black by the end of the night. I took her to the bathroom to wash them off, made her ride piggy back to camp and keep reminding her to shine the flashlight on the path in front of me instead of everywhere else. It's a wonder we made it back to camp without falling over a rock or bumping into a tree.
Anne went to bed quite easily since she awoke Saturday morning at 5:20 ready to go camping. I think William went to bed easily, as well. Anne and I shared a tent, and even though I slept on a cot, my body still aches. Rich and the boys shared a tent and slept on air mattresses. Rich is still moving a little slowly.
I learned that next year, I'll just go out for the day and the ceremony and be back home in my nice comfy bed by 9:00. I learned that I'll pack the food for next time and include plenty of snacks for the kids plus water bottles and/or gatorade. I learned that I really need a tent that I can stand up in or I'll rent one of the scout tents on-site. Guess life is always about learning, right?
I'll attach some pictures when I get them developed. Now, off to my more comfortable bed and a phone call to the doctor tomorrow about my back aches...
The boys caught toads and lizards and, word has it, even a salamader - although I didn't see it. They shot BB Guns [as well as Anne and William], hiked around a lot and got VERY dirty. The weather was nice...a little windy, but no rain and it wasn't too cool...just right. We cooked hot dogs and smores for dinner and watched the 2nd year Webelos go through the Arrow of Light ceremony to become Boy Scouts.
Anne and William decided to take off their shoes and walk around in the mud...there goes 2 pairs of socks. Then Anne decided it was best to forsake the socks altogether. Her feet were disgustingly black by the end of the night. I took her to the bathroom to wash them off, made her ride piggy back to camp and keep reminding her to shine the flashlight on the path in front of me instead of everywhere else. It's a wonder we made it back to camp without falling over a rock or bumping into a tree.
Anne went to bed quite easily since she awoke Saturday morning at 5:20 ready to go camping. I think William went to bed easily, as well. Anne and I shared a tent, and even though I slept on a cot, my body still aches. Rich and the boys shared a tent and slept on air mattresses. Rich is still moving a little slowly.
I learned that next year, I'll just go out for the day and the ceremony and be back home in my nice comfy bed by 9:00. I learned that I'll pack the food for next time and include plenty of snacks for the kids plus water bottles and/or gatorade. I learned that I really need a tent that I can stand up in or I'll rent one of the scout tents on-site. Guess life is always about learning, right?
I'll attach some pictures when I get them developed. Now, off to my more comfortable bed and a phone call to the doctor tomorrow about my back aches...


2 Comments:
Thanks for the update. I had a good laugh over it. Seems like the kids haven:t changed at all, which is great! Hehehe, we:re never too old to learn is right!
Awww, he is still just as cute as he was back in July!! I loved staying with your wonderfull family in OK! God Bless, Jamie OR
Post a Comment
<< Home