My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma, United States

I'm a Native Texan transplanted to a neighboring state; mom of 3 kids; a homeschooling mom always in search of "me time"

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sleeping in the great outdoors...

Rich built the tree fort...what?...3 years ago...but this past Friday night (May 18) it was officially christened...Rich and the kids slept in it!

We went to the end of year Legacy "bash"...our homeschool co-op...and got home early...the moon was out and Venus looked so close to it. John got his telescope and I lined it all up...it was cool. In the moment, I suggested..."Wow! Tonight would be such a great night to sleep in the tree fort!" Kids: "Wow! Can we? Really? That'd be so much fun! Let's go get our stuff!" So, somehow they talked Rich into it and later that evening...must've been about 10:00 or so...they were all up there...air mattresses, pillows, sleeping bags, stuffed animals. I'm amazed it all fit! But they did it! I did hear (and see) Anne come in about 10:45 to potty (not unusual for her, just annoying for Rich and me). They slept until about 7:30 the next morning. "It was great! Can we sleep in the tent tonight?"

So, Rich got out out the tent on Saturday...put it up...fun to play in, etc....the kids moved the air mattresses, sleeping bags, pillows, and stuffed animals from the tree fort down to the tent. We all decide to go see the fireworks from the Driller's game....which lasted sooooooooo long....and we waited and waited (and Anne had to go the bathroom TWICE!...drug her to Target, then to Reasor's because Target was closed...what is with this child's bladder?). Got home about 10:30 and the kids were asking to sleep in the tent: "Mom, all the stuff is in there...we can brush our teeth really fast and get on our jammies...please, please, please?" So, I thought I should "do my time" and graciously volunteered to sleep in the tent so Rich could have the house. He didn't put up any resistance.

I must admit that I slept rather well until 5: (freakin') 25 when the stupid birds started to sing. Do they do this every morning....at this un-godly hour? Between the birds and a cat that wanted to sleep on me and purr I didn't get much sleep between then and 7:00 when I decided I might as well get up.

But it was fun...and, most importantly, it was something my kids will never forget...that mom and dad slept outside with them in the tree fort and the tent...so what's next to cross off the list?

1 Comments:

Blogger Our Family said...

You are awesome parents! I wish I was as good as you. ;-) ~Kim B.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home