The Tooth Fairy, Santa and the Easter Bunny...
Well, it's over...at least for John. He's suspected for about 6 months, but now it's really over.
He lost another tooth Saturday night. Rich and I forgot to put the cherished dollar under his pillow. As John was getting ready for church Sunday morning, I asked him about the Tooth Fairy and if she left anything. He said no...she must've been busy. At this same time, Rich was sneaking a dollar into his pillowcase. I told John to go check again...really looking hard...under all his pillows and in the cases.
He found it and then asked THE question..."Mom, did you put this here?" "No," I said. Then he asked, "Did Dad put it here?" I just couldn't keep up the charade any longer...I dreaded this moment - when I found out there was no Santa, I cried for hours. And I didn't want the same reaction from any of my kids! I told him the truth, "Yes, he did." I'm waiting for the tears to come, but they didn't! Slowly a grin spread across his face. I thought to myself, "Hey, this isn't so bad...I'd rather him laugh than cry!" So, I thought I should just come clean with it all. I said, "John, you know Santa?" He said, "Yes?" I said, "It's Mom and Dad and while we're at it...the Easter Bunny? Well, that's us too." His grin got bigger (thank God) and he was starting to put "two and two" together. "Well, how did you know what we wanted for Christmas?" I said, "Remember those writing assignments...letters to Santa?"
I told him now that he knows, he can't tell anyone! It's just part of "the club." Now, he'll get to be a helper. He asked, "Does that mean I can stay up later on Christmas Eve?" My son...always looking for ways to stay up later!
As we were getting in the car for church, he leans over and asks, "Mom, how did you get the trampoline in the backyard without us knowing?"
I guess this is just the beginning of those "growing pains" we parents don't like...but must endure.
At least we have two more kids who aren't so "grown up" yet!
He lost another tooth Saturday night. Rich and I forgot to put the cherished dollar under his pillow. As John was getting ready for church Sunday morning, I asked him about the Tooth Fairy and if she left anything. He said no...she must've been busy. At this same time, Rich was sneaking a dollar into his pillowcase. I told John to go check again...really looking hard...under all his pillows and in the cases.
He found it and then asked THE question..."Mom, did you put this here?" "No," I said. Then he asked, "Did Dad put it here?" I just couldn't keep up the charade any longer...I dreaded this moment - when I found out there was no Santa, I cried for hours. And I didn't want the same reaction from any of my kids! I told him the truth, "Yes, he did." I'm waiting for the tears to come, but they didn't! Slowly a grin spread across his face. I thought to myself, "Hey, this isn't so bad...I'd rather him laugh than cry!" So, I thought I should just come clean with it all. I said, "John, you know Santa?" He said, "Yes?" I said, "It's Mom and Dad and while we're at it...the Easter Bunny? Well, that's us too." His grin got bigger (thank God) and he was starting to put "two and two" together. "Well, how did you know what we wanted for Christmas?" I said, "Remember those writing assignments...letters to Santa?"
I told him now that he knows, he can't tell anyone! It's just part of "the club." Now, he'll get to be a helper. He asked, "Does that mean I can stay up later on Christmas Eve?" My son...always looking for ways to stay up later!
As we were getting in the car for church, he leans over and asks, "Mom, how did you get the trampoline in the backyard without us knowing?"
I guess this is just the beginning of those "growing pains" we parents don't like...but must endure.
At least we have two more kids who aren't so "grown up" yet!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home